Vocabulary Class: Because Words Matter.
Are you interested in building your child’s vocabulary? Do you feel that your child’s writing or speaking vocabulary is below average?
The purpose of this class is to help your child build a strong vocabulary bank. Vocabulary skills are the foundation of critical reading. A good vocabulary gives a student confidence and assurance in both written and verbal communication, an increased affinity for reading, and better performance at school.
MEK Review’s NEW Vocabulary Class introduces simple and engaging ways to learn vocabulary words.
- Develop stronger critical thinking skills by defining words in context
- Develop dictionary skills
- Practice direct application and utilization of words
- Learn larger, more advanced words with the guidance of experienced teachers
- Ensure retention through carefully-crafted practice exercises
Mere memorization of words is NOT enough!
Vocabulary is more than rote, dry memorization of words. The main reason pure memorization does not work (especially for younger students) is because a list provides no context for the word your child is learning.
When young students learn terms apart from context, they end up using complex and nuanced words incorrectly.
Classes for Grades 4-7
Our Vocabulary Class is for grades 4-7. To qualify for the class, students must meet the appropriate Lexile level (using the Scholastic Reading Index). This ensures that each student is placed in the proper level.
- Vocabulary 4 : Thursday, 6:00PM – 7:30PM
- Vocabulary 5/6: Thursday, 4:30PM – 6:00PM
- Vocabulary 6/7: Thursday, 4:30PM – 6:00PM
- Vocabulary 4 : Wednesday, 6:00PM – 7:30PM
- Vocabulary 5/6: Wednesday, 4:30PM – 6:00PM
- Vocabulary 6/7: Saturday, 10:30AM – 12:00PM
(Spring semester classes starts 1/28/2017)
Common Core State Standards are challenging in all subjects, but especially when it comes to Reading and Writing. This course will help your child overcome the challenges set by CCSS and PARCC testing.
What else will this course cover?
Our instructors have carefully crafted a superior curriculum to systematically expand your child’s vocabulary. Each class, students will read a grade-appropriate and exciting news article with their teachers. They will then identify pre-selected words in context and complete exercises crafted by MEK staff members. Say farewell to overused vocabulary textbooks!
Course content includes:
- Synonyms: words that have similar meanings
- Homonyms & Homographs: pairs that are often confused, and how to keep them straight
- Foreign Words: words that English has “borrowed” from other countries
- Misleading Words: words that don’t mean what they sound like
- Power Words: words that evoke an emotional response when read or heard
- Antonyms: why knowing the antonym increases the chances of remembering a definition
- Verbal Analogies: testing critical thinking through relationships
- and much, much more!
This is the course you’ve been waiting for.
MEK’s instructors are ready to work with your child to build and implement an advanced vocabulary. We have diligently prepared grade-appropriate exercises (including analogies) to make sure your child has ample practice.
We’ve gathered a rich bank of engaging, fun, and diverse articles to broaden your child’s exposure to various types of reading passages.
More importantly, your child will have fun as he or she learns new words! He or she will perform with confidence on schoolwork and standardized tests like the PARCC. Reading comprehension will also improve significantly.
Book a consultation and a diagnostic test for your child today!
Enrich your child’s life by enriching his or her vocabulary.