Welcome to Reading Lab
Reading Lab teaches Kindergarten to 3rd grade students to understand stories while expanding their vocabulary. Students learn effective reading strategies, which include analysis and interpretation. Instructors guide students through storybooks to encourage the development of proper reading skills. All students apply their new skills on timed quizzes from Scholastic Reading Counts!
How Reading Lab Works:
- Students start with the Scholastic Reading Inventory (SRI) test. This helps us determine your child’s reading level and genre of interest.
- We form a personalized reading list based on your child’s SRI test, grade, preferences, reading habits, and assessment of his or her own reading skills.
- After reading each book, your child takes a Scholastic Reading Quiz to evaluate comprehension. We carefully monitor his or her progress to ensure improvement.
Flexible Reading Lab Hours
- Tuesday – Friday, any time between 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Saturday, any time between 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Scholastic Reading Quizzes
Every book your child reads has a quiz to test for comprehension, vocabulary, and literary elements across various genres. We get immediate feedback and monitor improvement to help your child read more accurately.
Personalized Reading Lists
MEK’s library of 4,000 award-winning books guarantees we’ll have something that develops your child’s ability and engages his or her interests. Your child will have fun discovering new and exciting books! This process broadens insight and perception while also setting a foundation for standardized test prep.
See What Reading Lab Students Are Saying!
-Emily, 4th grade
-Daniel, 4th grade
-Andrew, 3rd grade
Why You Should Enroll Your Child Today
- Access grade-appropriate, personalized reading lists
- Sharpen comprehension skills
- Earn better grades in school
- Have fun while reading new and exciting books
- Learn new vocabulary words, literary elements, and genres of literature
- Become a fluent, confident, and avid reader
- Develop an active habit of reading