SAT Core Reading & Writing is a single course designed to help early high school students:
Who: High school freshmen and sophomores
What: Reading and writing practice and lectures carefully aligned with the Common Core to help students boost their English course fundamentals directly in the classroom. This class puts a special emphasis on strong foundational writing skills, making successful students great candidates for honors and AP humanities courses.
The reading, critical thinking, and writing abilities enhanced in (P)SAT Core Reading & Writing are required for completing successful research papers, understanding challenging texts in school, and taking effective notes!
Lectures and practice expand students’ vocabulary to help them draw conclusions from relevant words in context. Freshmen and sophomores use terms they will encounter in high school classrooms, in college, and in their future professional lives. They also practice extracting the main ideas and author’s purpose from important texts, which boosts active reading skills required on the SAT.
Lectures and practice push students to build foundations for quality analytical essay writing. They refresh their understanding of English grammar while editing passages to strategically answer real SAT questions.
(P)SAT Essay practice forces students to critically evaluate texts, identify persuasive, stylistic, and rhetorical elements, and construct organized essays using specific details for support.
Benefits of SAT Core Reading & Writing
- Learning to present thoughts in a clear and organized way
- Developing tactics to master in-depth comprehension of difficult texts
- Including key supporting details in writing
- Experiencing increased confidence during SAT Prep thanks to early utilization of SAT-aligned material
Fall 2018 Schedule
- Location: Palisades Park & Closter Campus
- Day: Saturday
- Time: 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Course Length: 14 sessions
- Lectures: 11 skill-building lectures (Reading: 90 minutes, Writing: 90 minutes)
- Simulation Tests: Practice SAT Reading & Writing tests placed at strategic points within the course