Welcome to Literacy Lab
Recommended for grades 4-9, Literacy Lab emphasizes analytical writing that uses textual evidence for support. Students read content-rich articles and short stories while learning to annotate properly and answer advanced comprehension questions. Students also apply their critical thinking skills while writing challenging literary analysis essays in a timed environment.
The main difference between Literacy Lab and Writing Lab is that this program highlights the distinction between summary and analysis!
How Literacy Lab Works:
- 30 minutes of reading – Students read grade-appropriate articles and short stories covering every genre of literature. Readings are based on the students’ pace and ability.
- 15 minutes of one-on-one analysis with instructor – Students review critical literary elements: plot, figurative language, conflict, theme, and more. Then they organize literary response essays under the guidance of the instructor.
- 30 minutes of writing – Students use prompted critical questions to craft their literary response essays. These questions develop students’ ability to demonstrate comprehension in various literary genres.
- 15 minutes of one-on-one with instructor – Students get immediate feedback from their instructors. This process provides them with the one-on-one attention they may not receive in school and promotes efficiency, proficiency, and mastery of literary concepts.
- Tuesday – Friday, any time between 3:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Saturday, any time between 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- 90-min sessions, no homework
- 1 session per week
- 10 session minimum required
Literacy Lab Is School Synced
Our curriculum is well aligned with the Common Core State Standards. Literacy Lab students apply their new foundational skills directly in the school classroom!
MEK’s Literacy Lab instructors are highly trained in teaching, observation, and grading in alignment with the Common Core. Brilliant, passionate, and dedicated, these instructors are here to ensure your child develops strong writing skills and builds confidence for school success.
See What Literacy Lab Students Are Saying!
-Lily, 8th grade
-Roger, 8th grade
-Daniel, 9th grade