ESL Immersion Program
*ESL: English as a Second Language
This program gives ESL students the foundation and confidence they need to apply English in all school subjects. Rather than strengthening general English language abilities, students enhance their academic English to boost performance directly in the classroom. Developing strong reading comprehension, writing, and vocabulary skills builds the basics for school success!
ESL Immersion is aligned with the Common Core Curriculum, which forms the basis for SAT, ACT, PSAT, and PARCC testing. All course levels use our proven and efficient MEK Lab structure to emphasize guided application and skill reinforcement. Students in this program move beyond class survival and onto class success.
Who needs the ESL Immersion Program?
Many international students who enter the American school system have a basic understanding of English. However, most of these children lack the skills to comprehend school lessons and complete homework, projects, or exams sufficiently. So, they fall behind their peers—not because they are unintelligent, but because they struggle to apply their knowledge in another language.
It is important for these students to fully immerse themselves in the language—we will help them “break” their dependence on their first language and enhance their structural understanding of English. Once students begin thinking in English, they will read, write, and converse more efficiently.
All incoming ESL students must complete two evaluations.
- Reading Evaluation (Scholastic Reading Inventory): multiple-choice reading questions testing students’ reading comprehension, inference, and vocabulary skills
- Writing Evaluation: basic prompt for timed 5-paragraph essay
Students are placed into Level 1, 2, or 3 based on three main factors:
- Lexile Score: measures the student’s ability to read at a particular grade level
- Lexile Percentile: indicates whether the student falls behind or surpasses peers in reading comprehension abilities
- Writing Evaluation: provides a starting point for writing and grammar training
Students must achieve a Lexile Score of 450 or above to be eligible for our ESL Immersion Program. ESL students typically read below their target Lexile Scores.
- Level 1: Laying the Foundation (SRI 30th-50th percentile)
- Level 2: School Readiness (SRI 51st-74th percentile)
- Level 3: Reaching for Success (SRI 75th percentile and up)
Course levels use modified versions of Vocabulary, Writing, and Literacy Labs. The ESL Immersion Program maintains MEK Labs’ effective teaching philosophy: a mix of learning, immediate guided application, and skill reinforcement.
ESL students have nuanced school needs, so instructors take special care to select materials that tackle their struggles in specific class subjects. This program combines the effective structure of MEK Labs with the highly individualized nature of ESL learning!