2017 Academic Counseling Services (ACS)
Road Map to College (RMC) Consulting Program — 11th to 12th grade
Road Map to College (RMC) is a comprehensive 1-on-1 consulting program that guides students from the fall of junior year all the way to the final application submission in senior year. RMC is the preferred choice for students to present the strongest possible application and portfolio at the time of application.
- All RMC packages include the following services:
- Application planning meeting
- Extracurricular activities and resume consultations
- Personal and school specific essay brainstorming
- Essay writing guidance
- Interview practices
- Final application review and submission
- RMC maximum # of schools to apply to: 10
- Pre-planned number of meetings
- Initial 1-hr essay brainstorming meeting, followed by 30 min. essay refinement meetings
- Extra charge for additional meetings
- RMC Basic
- 1 Common App or one school specific application
- Meetings: max. 11 sessions (1-on-1)
- RMC 5
- Up to 5 college applications including all supplemental essays.
- Meetings: max. 17 meetings(1-on-1)
- RMC 10
- Up to 10 college applications including all supplemental essays.
- Meetings: max. 24 meetings (1-on-1)
- RMC 10 Accelerated/Honors
- Up to 10 college applications and 2 accelerated/honors programs including all supplemental essays.
- Meetings: max. 30 meetings (1-on-1)
Introspective Writing Program *NEW*
Introspective Writing is a 2-stage essay practice program that prepares students to complete their personal statement essays, which are an important aspect of the college application.
Stage 1 involves reflection, introspection, and writing responses to 5 – 10 practice prompts in which students learn how to tap into their deepest creativity and reflect on their life experiences.
Stage 2 consists of writing. By the programs’ end, students will have a complete personal statement essay ready for submission.
Stage 3 & 4 (optional) consist of supplemental essay writing. Students will continue to work on supplemental essays prompts (i.e. topics based on specific interests and/or why you have chosen to apply to a particular school). Ultimately, students will be able to modify their supplemental essays accordingly, keeping in mind the school in question as well as proper essay technique.
- 11th graders are encouraged to start the program before the beginning of senior year
- 1-0n-1 hourly reflection meetings can be held in-person or via Skype
- Number of meetings for stages 1 and 2 vary depending on students’ writing ability. On average, 10 meetings are recommended
- After completing the Introspective Writing Program, students may sign up for RMC at a reduced price since some or all essays will have been completed
College Essay Boot Camp (CEBC) Program
Our 3-day College Essay Boot Camp is held before the beginning of senior year (inquire for dates) and immerses students in intensive, full day essay writing sessions. Students will complete the Personal and Short Answer essays of the Common App.
They will learn how to use figurative language and discover their unique narrative voice, and their rough drafts will be shared with other students as part of a supervised peer-review. The objective is to solidify students’ foundation for writing supplemental essays. Full 3-day commitment is required.
- Day 1: Brainstorming & First Draft
- Group icebreakers
- Compile life experiences for brainstorming
- Deeper examination of experiences
- Write first draft and confer with coaches
- Group discussions
- Day 2: Intensive Writing & Lecture
- Lectures on structure, tone, voice
- Multiple writing and review sessions
- Peer reviews
- Day 3: Final Writing & Review with Peers and Coaches
- Lectures on grammar
- Intensive writing and editing
- Continued peer and coach reviews
- Final review and edits
Private and Boarding School Program — 8th grade
The decision to apply for and enroll in a private or boarding school is a significant decision made by students and their family. MEK Review has years of experience placing students in leading private and boarding preparatory schools. All services are offered separately on a 1-on-1, hourly basis.
- Placement Consulting
Families are guided through the entire selection process, and a list of up to 6 schools suitable for the student is compiled prior to the application process.
- Activity List and Resume Builder
An activity list and resume highlighting students’ strengths and interests are drafted to encourage students to continue engaging in various extracurricular activities with passion and commitment.
- School-Required Essay Planning & Revision
Starting with 1-on-1 brainstorming, coaches discover students’ threads and develop a balanced presentation for all school-required essays.
- Student Interview Coaching and Practice Sessions
MEK counselors prepare students to articulate themselves with confidence so they will be fully prepared come interview time.
- Extracurricular Material Consulting
DVD presentations, art and music portfolios, writing samples, sports resumes, etc. are carefully assessed by MEK counselors.
- Comprehensive Application Review
Students and families are given a comprehensive line-by-line review of a completed application and to ensure timely submission.